haircut to go for next is the perennial cycle of choices for most
women. Historically it was expected of women to have long hair and
to go shorter could exhibit a rebellious nature. In recent decades
the shorter look has become perfectly acceptable. Some of the iconic
short hairstyles from history are:
• The pixie haircut – you cannot consider short hairstyles without looking first at the short pixie, pioneered in the 1960s by Twiggy, Mia Farrow and Vidal Sassoon models its as relevant now as ever. These days many celebrities sport versions of the pixie such as Carey Mulligan, Ginnifer Goodwin, Keira Knightly and Anne Hathaway making the pixie and its derivatives one of the most desirable cuts globally for so long.
• The short bob hairstyle – another popular cut from yesteryear was the bob. Mid length hair underwent a major transformation when the bob arrived. The great thing about the bob is you could also curl it into soft waves similar to those of flapper girls and Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott, from the roaring '20s.
• The bowl cut – thanks to the mop top popularized by The Beatles, women came back with their own versions having straight bangs (sometimes called a fringe in some countries). This cut has undergone many revisions in recent times with asymmetrical tips and feathered ends.
• Voluminous curls – who can forget the Marilyn Monroe and Madonna do? It might have been several decades since they started the trend but short voluminous curl hairstyles are still very much alive especially at formal events.
• The shaved crop – not everyone can pull off a shaved crop like Demi Moore or Natalie Portman so women who can are extra eye-catching. Women who prefer it short have varied reasons, some want a radical change; some want a lighter feeling or freedom from the weight of long tresses, others simply got tired of the time, effort and money that go into maintaining long locks. Whatever your reasons are for wanting a shorter 'do, it is important to take into consideration the shape of your face, your lifestyle and personality too. Short hairstyles bring a gush of fresh air to the typical long tresses that need a lot of maintenance and time. If you don’t want to keep tucking behind your ear every 5 minutes and don’t want to spend hours trying to tame the strands then a close cut style is a must. Here is a gallery of all the short haircuts imaginable and many that can be achieved in less than 5 minutes and are great for every occasion.
• Bangs or a Fringe - Who said fringes are only for girls with long hair. If you have a slightly longer bob, then you can wear sexy bangs to makeover your look. Aligned bangs that fall just over the eyebrows look great with straight locks. However, if you have naturally wavy locks, then you can choose side-swept bangs to change the way you look and feel, they are the most endearing style of this season.
• Spikes - An exclusive style for crops, a few spikes can make you look like a punk or a rocker. Not only this, when teamed up with softer and girlish accessories, they can even give you a very feminine but bold look. Heart shaped and longer faces can carry this look off very nicely. If you want to say ‘look at me, I have arrived’ without uttering a single word, spikes are what you need. They are instant attention gatherers.
• Crops and Chops - Are becoming the most popular close cut styles this season. If you want to look a little messy and make a statement at the same time, you must get cropped at the back and chopped at the side. These uneven asymmetrical cuts make you look like you came straight out of the bed whether you have or not. They also add a lot of volume and if your strands are already thick, you don’t really need to do much. However, if you're a bit thinner, then you may want to use some protein mousse and a hard styling gel to pull of this look. Make sure it looks good or you can really appear like you didn’t care about touching your hair after you got up.
• Curves or curls - Most short styles are compatible with inward or outward curves at the end of the strand. It all depends on what look you want to sport. If you want to frame your face, then inward curls are better and if you want to make it appear rebellious and messy, then outward curls would be your choice.
Cuts and styles for short hair.When you go close cut, it's extremely desirable to style your hair and make it fashionable. Short tresses may need to have volume and something special done. It's also worth remembering that going cropped often highlights your facial features so choose a cut that is going to work well with your face shape. Some of our face shapes are oval, some are round, some are square and some are even heart-shaped. This is why you need to really consider what your exact shape is and what type of haircut you're going to need to carry it off best. You can go straight and comb to the side or forward, or you can opt for spiky or you can even go curly. There are so many different varieties, the possibilities are really endless and they are entirely up to you but take recommendations of experts! The best way to find a cut you are going to like, is to look at pictures of others and find what experts recommend. Chances are, there's an expert in your local salon that can advise which look would be perfect for you. By looking at the looks of celebrities and seeing what others have done, you can implement those ideas for yourself. You will want to regularly shampoo and condition and use the right types of products. To keep your mane in the best condition possible, be sure to use shampoos and conditioners that are organic and derived from plants and natural compounds. You may also want to reduce how often you straighten or curl, as the heat can cause damage if done too regularly. Remember that the color may change across the seasons! Hair color changes depending on how much sunlight it is exposed to. For this reason, you may want to consider coloring based on the specific season that you are in. If it is summer, you will probably want to go with a darker color because the sun is what makes your tresses fairer. If it's winter, then you may want to go lighter to brighten up your hair and make it look like it does in the summer. It's all about getting back to your natural, beautiful color.